1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Finished a novel. Broke someone's heart.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did, actually! I finished a book! It was terribly exciting. I don't know that I'm making one this year. We'll see.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn't leave the country, for the second year in a row.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Hm. I can't really think of anything that 2011 was lacking, honestly!
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
10/25 and 11/11, for very different reasons! 10/25 was a Day of Many Things (including the end of my first relationship in a long time), and 11/11 was a Day of One Particular Thing (mainly the start of a very different relationship).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finishing my novel! Pow!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Breaking a heart and a half. Whoops. Learned a lot from the process, though.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing beyond minor colds here and there! Pow!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Concert tickets. Lots of concert tickets. All of them were amazing.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hmm. Lots of wonderful folks were wonderful, but I can't think of one who merits celebration over the rest? Oh man, Luka's. Luka is a badass.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Sandstorm's, a bit. That was a while ago, though.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Concert tickets and Homestuck music. NO REGRETS.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Homestuck fandom, Ghosts of Eden, my writing classes, the play...
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Mr. November, Rabbit Heart, The Cave.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
(a) happier or sadder? Happier, if that's even possible! My life is great!
(b) thinner or fatter? I think I gained a little weight? Not much, though.
(c) richer or poorer? Richer! I made a lot of money this summer at AstroCamp.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Reading for pleasure. I only finished a two dozen or so books this year, which is nowhere near enough.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinating, as always.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Whoosh. I was in the air all day! And then I stayed at Iris' for the evening, which was lovely.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
I learned a lot about love in 2011. I don't know that I fell in it, though.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Battlestar Galactica, even though it aired a long time ago!
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Quite the opposite! I forgave the one person I hated last year, and re-befriended him!
24. What was the best book you read?
Oooh. I read some good ones. Perhaps Einstein's Dreams?
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The National, Andrew Bird, Beirut.
26. What did you want and get?
A relationship, a writing mentor.
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favourite film of this year?
Tintin or Attack the Block.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Hung out with wonderful friends at Oberlin, and went to a bar downtown, because it was my 21st! It was a fantastic birthday. Oh yeah, and met Salman Rushdie and saw him talk. Amazing.
30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Writing and Karen Russell.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
FINALLY DIFFERENT. I dressed in a way that made me look good, for once in my life. Simple shirts, interesting but streamlined pants, and neat slim vests. Lots and lots of vests.
32. What kept you sane?
As usual: writing and friends.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Less clear this year. Perhaps Andrew Hussie.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Occupy and SOPA.
35. Who did you miss?
Natalie! She is still in Amsterdam!
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh man, so many amazing people. Milner and the rest of my Oberbros, Leslie and Lorlor and all my other Homestucks, Catherine and Raymond and Nedling and the other ML freshlings, Zach and Mark at AstroCamp, Karen Russell… this was a phenomenal year for people.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Trying to date monogamous people is a bad idea.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Home! Let me come home!
Home is wherever I'm with you!
In sum, a fantastic year. 2011 was one of my best years ever, and I think 2012 could be even better. I know who I am, I know where I'm going, and I've got a good idea of how to get there. At midnight last year, I dedicated 2011 to progress, and progress there was. I feel like I made lots of progress, on many fronts, and am very satisfied.
2012 I dedicate to learning. To exploring new things, to self-discovery, to education of all kinds.
I think it's going to be a very good 2012.