1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Graduated college! Maintained a stable relationship! Fought a Thesis Snake (and won, barely).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I made a Revolution last year, and kept it! It was to graduate college. Which I did, and it has been pretty dang revolutionary.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Stayed in the states this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Hmmm. To be honest, there wasn't much that 2013 lacked. It was a pretty all-around fantastic year, though it had its ups and downs. I'd like more travel, as I don't feel I did enough of that this year.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 2nd. I graduated, the Stark family went to a wedding, and I had a ton of fun with some of my favorite people in the world.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Graduating is tied with running The Secret Major.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not spending more time editing my book! Dangit.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Oooh, tough. There weren't a lot of notable purchases, really? Most of my money went into various Kickstarters.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Allison, Mia, Hope, and the rest of them. Jess. Will. Windy. Meryl. Naia.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Certain members of the Swarthmore administration. My boss at my new job.
14. Where did most of your money go?
See above: Kickstarter.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
THEATER! Adventure Games! Romance? Jobs. MFAs. Jaegers.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Bones. I Don't Care. The Attack on Titan OP.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
(a) happier or sadder? Much happier! Things are very good.
(b) thinner or fatter? Fatter, but I weigh a lot less. I'm not eating as much but I'm VERY out of shape, so my weight is moving stomachward.
(c) richer or poorer? Hey, richer! I made a lot of money this year from working hard, and didn't spend much of it.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Hmm. I mean, as always, procrastinating, but also I want to acknowledge that I got a LOT done this year.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly. Helped Juliette out of a bad situation, and went off to a good friend's place for good drinks and good company.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
No, but I found it, and I can feel gravity's pull in an all new way. It's less a fall so much as sauntering vaguely downwards.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
KILL la KILL!!! Also Gravity Falls. Also Attack on Titan. It was a good year for animated TV. (And of course Shame of Gnomes stayed great.)
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't think so!
24. What was the best book you read?
Oooh, tough. I read some great stuff. Probably Redshirts was my favorite, though. What a book.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
C2C, MS MR, Icona Pop. Lotta great music this year.
26. What did you want and get?
A job in Boston! Graduation! A Swarthmore Adventure Game.
27. What did you want and not get?
A GOOD job in Boston!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
P A C I F I C R I M
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a picnic in Central Park with some dear friends, on my way from a visit to Swarthmore to moving to Boston! I turned 23.
30. What one thing made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Relatively consistent? The vests-and-shorts-and-necklaces was maintained. Adding in scarves for winter, and now lots of sweaters. Oh, you know, and a haircut.
32. What kept you sane?
Friends and love, more than ever. This wasn't so much a year of staying sane as it was a year of genuine growth. I came into the year sane, and came out of it a better person, thanks to the love and support of the people around me.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
SO MANY THINGS. AUGH. Probably issues of sexual assault, just in terms of how much energy I put into things.
35. Who did you miss?
I spent a surprising chunk of this year missing people! New feeling for me. I mostly missed the collectives of ML and Sci-fi Hall, rather than individuals. They're two of my dearest families, and I was distant from them for too long.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
HOW CAN I LIST JUST ONE PERSON? I met so many amazing people this year. Grace, of course. Jess, Dane, Duncan, Angelo, and the rest of the Trackers family. While technically I met Henry and Kyle in 2005, I hadn't seen them since then, so reconnecting with them absolutely counts, and I'll include Whitney and the rest of the Dorr House with them. Eli and Steph, too, and while I've only just met the Assassins Guild, I have a good feeling about them. This was a VERY good year for people.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Trusting others starts with trusting yourself. Honesty comes from within.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Didn't know what this would be
But I knew I didn't see
What you thought
You saw in me
2013 was an incredible year. I took over the Story Board, I ran three huge Adventure Games, I worked two amazing jobs all summer, I finished my goddamn thesis, I had exciting adventures with love and romance, I went to amazing concerts... It can't quite compete with 2011 for best year ever, but it's definitely close.
This year started out full of question marks. I was scared of things to come, what I'd do after graduation, what I'd do with my life, and so on. My paths were clouded, ambiguous, and terrifying. But every time a new question came before me, it seemed to answer itself, the solution just falling into place from some unexpected source. It was, above all, a year of serendipity.
So I'm dedicating this coming year to those question marks. To not being scared of not knowing what comes next. To embracing it, and enjoying the act of discovering each day, each week, each month anew. New friendships, new people, new opportunities. The path before me is clear and long, but I'm not afraid to stray from it if I see shiny things in the woods.
Here's to 2013, and here's to 2014.
I love you.